A mobile phone forum. Mobile-Forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Mobile-Forum forum » General mobile phone forums » General
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Compare Google Pixel & Pixel XL to the iPhone 7 by specifications only



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old October 7th 16, 07:21 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Algeria Horan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43
Default Compare Google Pixel & Pixel XL to the iPhone 7 by specifications only

Rod Speed wrote:

12. NFC seems slightly better on the Pixel than on the iPhone 7


But apple doesn¢t allow apps to access that which is better for
security but may not be as good if you don¢t care about security.


I have never understood NFC, simply because I have it on my S3 and I've
never had a need to even *care* about NFC.

So, since I'm ignorant of NFC, I only read the spec as something like "the
pixel can do everything with NFC while the iPhone 7 can only do some things
with NFC".

I guess what you're saying is that this is true, but because of the Apple
limitations, then NFC "security" is better.

If that's the case, neither is better; they're just different where Apple
(as usual) is more restrictive and Google (as usual) is more open.

Looking up the price for a 32GB version of each:
Pixel = $650
iPhone 7 = $650


That's a bit low end IMO.


I don't understand that comment since I googled for the price and it seems
that the Google Pixel price is exactly the same as the Apple iPhone 7
price, which, I'm sure, is no coincidence.

Did I get the prices wrong?
What are the correct prices for a 32GB version of each phone?
  #12  
Old October 7th 16, 08:20 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
nospam[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,163
Default Compare Google Pixel & Pixel XL to the iPhone 7 by specifications only

In article , Algeria Horan
wrote:


I have never understood NFC, simply because I have it on my S3 and I've
never had a need to even *care* about NFC.


you have never understood a lot of things.
  #13  
Old October 7th 16, 08:20 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
nospam[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,163
Default Compare Google Pixel & Pixel XL to the iPhone 7 by specifications only

In article , Algeria Horan
wrote:


1. Network technology is the same.


nope.

the iphone 7 (and 6s for that matter) has more lte bands, which means
better coverage and wider carrier support.


What you say doesn't show up in the gsmarena specs,


it shows up in google and apple's specs, which are the only specs that
matter.

but, sometimes what you
say is actually true (although you never back up what you say, and, 90% of
the time, your wrong - so I'm forced to ask you for clarification).


unlike *you*, i always back up what i say, you lying sack of ****.

The Pixel is chock full of LTE bands so, I must ask you *which* bands
specifically you feel are *important* for a USA customer of either phone
that the iPhone 7 has that the Pixel does not have?


the usa isn't the only place the phones are sold.

it might not matter for some people but it *will* matter for other
people.

they are not 'the same'.

2. SIM cards are the same


so what?

nobody buys a phone based on the size of the sim card.


Fair enough.

3. Pixel XL screen size (5.5") is larger than the iPhone 7 (4.7")


as usual, you're intentionally comparing different products to skew
your 'comparison'.

the pixel xl is comparable to the iphone 7+ *not* the smaller iphone 7,
which compares with the regular pixel.


Read the title of the thread.
The goal was to compare both of the Pixel phones to the iPhone 7.


except that's not what you did.

If *you* want to compare the iPhone 7+ to the phones, you're welcome to do
so but that doesn't make *this* comparison any different.


it makes your comparison bogus.

4. Pixel XL has far greater resolution and pixel density than the iPhone 7


it's a little bit higher than the iphone 7+, but not anything human
eyes can see so it doesn't actually matter in the real world.

it's just more pixels to move around (which increases memory demands).


Fair enough. I'm sure *both* displays are just fine.


they are.

5. Both have quad-core CPUs where the Pixel XL is faster with twice the RAM


**** no. not even close.

the iphone 7/7+ processor, which by the way, is *not* a quad core but
rather a dual dual core, blows away the pixel. even last year's iphone
6s is faster.

http://bgr.com/2016/10/05/iphone-7-vs-pixel-benchmarks/
Geekbench 4 scores that just hit the web confirm as much ‹ Google¹s
Pixels score a 1580 on the single-core test and about 4100 on the
multi-core test, while Apple¹s latest iPhones score 3430 and about
5600.

geekbench rates the iphone 7 at *double* the performance on single core
and about 50% faster on multicore. double!! with half the cores!


This is interesting information.


so interesting that it blows your claim to bits.

You will note that there was a benchmark score on the gsmarena Apple iPhone
7 page, but there was no corresponding score on the Pixel, so I was forced
to drop that comparison for lack of data (since I was only comparing the
two GSMarena spec pages).


in other words, you fabricated that the pixel is faster.

so much for you backing up what you say.

http://www.redmondpie.com/google-pix...iphone-7-7-plu
s-benchmarks-comparison/
Early benchmarks from Geekbench 4 suggests that Apple¹s iPhone 7 and
iPhone 7 Plus easily beat the Pixel phones by Google on both single
and multi-core tests, with even older Apple hardware like the iPhone
SE and iPhone 6s outperforming the yet-to-be-released Google devices.

even *last* *year's* iphone 6s beats the pixel!!

as for memory, android has a higher memory overhead. it *needs* the
extra memory.

not only that, but the iphone 7+ has 3 gig (versus 4 gig in the pixel,
just ~30% more), mostly for the dual-lens camera which the pixel does
not have.


This is good information.

6. Cameras are discussed on another thread (let's call it even for now)


let's not, because the cameras are not even.

the pixel lacks optical image stabilization, has a slower lens and for
the iphone 7+, does not have a dual lens with optical zoom and portrait
mode.

they're both good cameras, but not 'even'.


Fair enough. I think both cameras are fine.

One side note is that Google MARKETING is *advertising* the camera as "the
best smartphone camera ever", so, we will probably see Apple MARKETING
respond accordingly (where Apple has the best marketing in the world!).


of course they're going to claim that. do you really think they're
going to say "we're almost as good as the iphone" ??

their claim is also based on a single metric from a company they paid
off to report it that way and one which has questionable evaluations
(see dpreview for *lots* of issues).

not only that, but there's only one way dxo could have received a
camera to evaluate which was not announced, and that's directly from
google, who obviously would have tweaked it to score high on
benchmarks.

Google claims the Pixel has the 'best smartphone camera ever'

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/04/...martphone-came
ra-rating-ever/

Of course, the clickbait has followed suit:
5 reasons why the Pixel may have the best smartphone camera ever

http://www.greenbot.com/article/3127...e-pixel-may-ha
ve-the-best-smartphone-camera-ever.html

Given this is a contentious argument that is out of my league (and given I
don't give a hoot about cameras since I own a real one), I will stay out of
the fray by saying the cameras are essentially equivalent.


they aren't.

the pixel camera lacks optical image stabilization and the dual-lens
camera in the 7+. the pixel's lens is also slower, but only by about a
half-stop, which isn't *that* much.

7. Neither has an expansion card slot (which is a bummer for both)
8. The Pixel XL has a real 3.5mm jack while the iPhone 7 lost that feature


who cares. most people never use either one.

wireless is where it's at.


A lot of people care, and "I" care, so, that's why the jack is there.
I think Apple will *eventually* crumble due to their dictator-like
autocratic decisions which they can only MARKET as "courageous".


nonsense.

not only will apple *not* crumble, but most other phones will follow
suit by dropping the outdated and aging analog headphone jack.

the industry is moving towards wireless, making that jack no longer
needed (plus it's redundant with lightning or usb-c).

also note that apple is *not* the first to drop the analog headphone
jack either, but it was actually *android* who first dropped it.

already, there are several android phones without an analog headphone
jack, including the moto z.

Well, Josef Stalin was courageous. So was Sheikh Hasina. Apple is more like
Kim Jong-il in that they are a "dynasty" where Tim Cook is just a
figurehead where the real power is APPLE MARKETING.

I don't think the Apple dictatorship will crumble in the next five years,
but, with Google seemingly going directly for the jugular, APPLE MARKETING
can only keep up the charade for so long. How long? Dunno. Ten years?
I don't think Apple will crumble in less than five years. So, mark my words
on ten years and we'll just have to discuss that comment in the future.

Point is that APPLE MARKETING can only carry the company for so long. At
some point, someone else will COPY the MARKETING MOVES by Apple. Google is
clearly doing that here with the Pixel, even down to the price.

So I wouldn't put it past Google themselves to remove the headphone jack,
and pass the lost functionality on to the consumer as a "courageous"
marketing move.


it's *already* happening.

9. WiFi on the Pixel XL is slightly better (with Wi-Fi Direct & DLNA)


wrong.

iphones have had wifi direct for *years*, the very feature you keep
insisting is not needed because you prefer the much slower bluetooth.


Huh? Who said anything about bluetooth in that spec? Now you're just
complaining with a total lack of merit.


you've consistently ranted that bluetooth file transfer is *very*
important while ignoring the much better wifi direct (aka airdrop).

now you babble that wifi direct is important, oblivious to the fact
that iphones have had it for years, a feature which you refuse to even
use and go on to criticize as being part of a walled garden.

not only are you a hypocrite, but an idiot.

The WiFi is essentially the same, with the Pixels being "slightly better"
in that they have Wi-Fi Direct and DLNA whereas the iPhone 7 doesn't list
that.


iphones have had wifi direct long before the pixel was even an *idea*,
let alone a shipping product and dlna is not a hardware feature, and
something that's available from ****loads of apps.

It is a big deal?
Probably not.

But it *is* slightly better on the Pixels.


wrong.

10. Bluetooth specs are the same essentially
11. GPS specs are the same essentially


first valid thing you've said so far.

12. NFC seems slightly better on the Pixel XL than on the iPhone 7


also true. nfc on android is a bit more flexible.


Actually, Rod Speed countered that the NFC on Android, while more flexible,
is perhaps less secure.

So I'd call the NFC a wash, overall in that:
a. Apparently NFC on the iPhone 7 is less flexible but more secure
b. Apparently NFC on the Pixels is more flexible but perhaps less secure

It's a wash, overall, but either one is slightly better than the other
depending on if you're scared or if you want flexibility.


nfc on android offers the ability to tap-transfer (which you refuse to
use because you're obsessed with outdated bluetooth) as well as nfc
tags.

13. USB connector is 3.0 on the Pixel XL (versus 2.0 on the iPhone 7)


that doesn't mean much of anything in the real world because flash
memory is the limiting factor.


Fair enough. What I *love* about USB 3.0 is the bi-directional connector,
which, as we all know, Apple pioneered.


usb 3 does not have reversibility. usb 3 is just faster, with bigger
and less convenient plugs, notably micro usb 3.

usb-c, however, is reversible, but might still only support usb 2 (or
might support thunderbolt 3).

if reversibility is all that matters, iphones have had that since the
iphone 5 in 2012 with the lightning connector.

apple is also why usb-c is reversible, as they're part of the group who
came up with the standard.

14. Sensors are the same (FP, Accel, Gyro, Prox, Compass, Baro)
15. Talk time is more than double for the Pixel XL over the iPhone 7
16. Music play time on the Pixel XL is three times that of the iPhone 7


you're once again comparing a larger pixel xl with the smaller iphone 7.

i'm quite sure you're doing that intentionally to skew your supposed
'comparison'.

either compare the pixel with the iphone 7 or the pixel xl with the
iphone 7+.


The talk time is slightly more than double for the Pixel XL over the iPhone
7,


that's because the xl is a much bigger phone than the iphone 7 and has
a much bigger battery.

the iphone 7+ has better battery life than the iphone 7.

once again, if you're going to use the xl, then compare it with the
larger iphone 7+.

here's a comparison from the specs;

video playback on *both* is 14 hours.
internet use for the iphone 7+ is 13 hours for 3g/lte and 15 for wifi,
versus 14 hours on the pixel xl (either way). close enough to be
considered equivalent.
talk time is 16 hours for the iphone 7+ and 23 hours for the pixel.

while 23 hours talk time is longer, it also doesn't matter since nobody
talks for 23 hours straight (or even 16 hours straight). all that
matters is that the phone lasts for the entire day, after which it can
be charged at night.

both phones do that.

also, actual real world use will be a combination of standby, talk,
internet and media playback.




Overall, on the listed performance features, it seems the Pixel XL is
arguably far better than the iPhone 7 by a wide margin in some specs, and
by a slim margin in others, and they're essentially equal in a bunch of
ways.


it's an invalid comparison.

they're both good phones, which are priced exactly the same.

so much for android being cheaper.


I *knew* you'd say that last comment, and I'd *agree* with you.
Of course, I can find *plenty* of cheaper Android phones, but I don't look
at price first. I look at *performance* first, and, essentially, the Pixel
line of phones is apparently designed to complete on *performance* with the
iPhone 7 line of phones.


there are plenty of cheaper android phones but they have lesser specs
(or are subsidized). that's why they're cheaper.

google has done away with the subsidized business model (it failed), so
now you're paying market price.

After looking at these specs, and then, at the end, looking up the price,
it seems that these two lines of phones are direct 1:1 competitors on
priceerformance.

This means, (to me), Apple will eventually crumble.


no.

Why I say such a remarkable thing is that up until now, Apple has been able
to maintain artificially high prices based purely on hugely successful
MARKETING campaigns.


no.

Up until now, almost nobody could claim the hardware margins that Apple
claims, and, as you yourself said, Google sold many of its phones at a
*loss*.


plenty of people could and did, notably samsung, who has phones that
sell for *more* than iphones do.

Now that Google MARKETING has apparently decided to copy Apple MARKETING
(almost completely with respect to priceerformance ratios), what happens
*next* is a matter of conjecture - but - I feel Apple must fail "if" Google
wins.

I don't see into the future, so I can see one of two scenarios:
a. Google wins big with these phones, or,
b. Nobody buys them.

If nobody buys them, nothing changes for Apple, since Apple isn't in the
market for low priceerformance ratios.

However, if these Pixel phones sell, then that means that Apple no longer
can maintain the sole spot in the lousy priceerformance ratios (for the
consumer).

I personally would *never* buy a Pixel simply because the priceerformance
sucks as bad as it does for an iPhone 7 (that isn't free anyway).

But, if *other* people buy the Pixel line of phones, then what happens is
that Apples market share in the lousy priceerformance category is eroded,
and, since there are too many other competitors out there who would love to
be in that niche, Apple will (I predict) eventually crumble.

However, I don't actually think many Android people will be dumb enough to
pay that much for the performance of the Google Pixel phones.

Lord knows there are plenty of Apple aficionados who pay that much for so
little of a priceerformance ratio; but the question at hand is whether
Android users will be that dumb.

Personally, I don't think so.
That means Apple is safe for now.

However, if there are a lot of dumb Android users out there, then Apple is
doomed.

It all depends on who is willing to pay for a lousy priceerformance ratio
on a very good phone.


more idiocy.

Looking up the price for a 32GB version of each:
Pixel XL = $769
iPhone 7 = $650


you're so disingenuous that you even artificially inflated the iphone
price by a buck.


Thanks for catching that. I was cutting and pasting but the Apple site
wouldn't cut and paste so I typed it.


nonsense, but even if you did have to resort to typing, you ****ed that
up too.

You're correct that I was off by a buck for the 32GB version:
Pixel XL $770
iPhone 7 $650

Plus tax.


only for states that charge tax. not all do.

and some people choose the installment plan and there are also the
usual carrier 'deals'.

here's the price comparison:

iphone 7+ 32 gig: $769
pixel xl 32 gig: $769
128 gig version, add $100

pixel 32 gig: $649
iphone 7 32 gig: $649
128 gig version, add $100

they're *exactly* the same.


This is the most obvious point, which is that the Google Pixel line of
phones is *designed* to compete directly, 1:1, on Price:Performance, to the
Apple iPhone 7 line of phones.

If this gamble works, it will spell the beginning of the end for the Apple
dictatorship; if this gamble fails, nothing will change.

So everything depends (IMHO) on whether Android users are dumb enough to
pay that much for a good phone.


nonsense

also note that the iphone offers 256 gig for an additional $100 over
the 128 gig, while the pixel does not offer 256 gig at all, no matter
how much you want to pay.

Next I'll compare the Pixel to the iPhone 7 by specs.


that's what you should have done in the first place.


Your idea of comparing the iPhone 7 to the Pixel and the iPhone 7+ to the
Pixel XL makes a lot of sense; but I had not known ahead of time that they
would be essentially mirror equivalents in so many specs and in the price.

Remember, I always look at price *last* and I have to take the assemblage
of specs as a whole, so, were I to start this thread over, I would compare,
as you did:

iPhone 7 to Pixel
iPhone 7+ to Pixel XL

BTW, I think this Google gamble will fail in that Android users aren't so
dumb as to pay that much for a good phone but if this gamble wins, then
Apple is doomed since this lousy Price:Performance point is *their*
fundamental market, and if Google can play in Apple's pond, so can everyone
else.


nonsense.
  #14  
Old October 7th 16, 09:55 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
AL[_34_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Compare Google Pixel & Pixel XL to the iPhone 7 by specificationsonly

On 10/7/2016 11:21 AM, Algeria Horan wrote:
AL wrote:

17. Neither phone has a Micro SD card slot.


Sorry I missed your #7. (Cleans glasses...

I think the common drawbacks to *both* phones are that too!

a. Neither phone has an expansion slot.
b. Neither phone has a removable battery.

Those are negatives to me too.


Perhaps to the average user those omissions from earlier phone models
may not be a big problem. But I would have thought techies would want to
keep all the functionality on their devices that they could. Seems not.

At least the Pixel still has an earphone jack, though without the card
slot it's off my list.

  #15  
Old October 7th 16, 10:47 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Lewis[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 75
Default Compare Google Pixel & Pixel XL to the iPhone 7 byspecifications only

In message
Algeria Horan wrote:
In a recent thread on m.p.m.i, JF Mezei brought up the Google Pixel XL
camera comparison to the iPhone camera. I hadn't heard of the Pixel XL
before, so I decided to run a quick specification-by-specification
comparison of the closest iWhatever to the Google Nexus HTC Pixel XL phone.


Spec comparison of cameras is even more pointless than comparing CPUs by
hertz or comparing F1 cars by color.


--
Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its
tendency to bend at the knees. --Feet of Clay
  #16  
Old October 7th 16, 10:50 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
nospam[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,163
Default Compare Google Pixel & Pixel XL to the iPhone 7 by specifications only

In article , Lewis
wrote:

In a recent thread on m.p.m.i, JF Mezei brought up the Google Pixel XL
camera comparison to the iPhone camera. I hadn't heard of the Pixel XL
before, so I decided to run a quick specification-by-specification
comparison of the closest iWhatever to the Google Nexus HTC Pixel XL phone.


Spec comparison of cameras is even more pointless than comparing CPUs by
hertz or comparing F1 cars by color.


red cars are the fastest. ask any cop.
  #17  
Old October 7th 16, 11:05 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Algeria Horan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43
Default Compare Google Pixel & Pixel XL to the iPhone 7 by specifications only

nospam wrote:

Spec comparison of cameras is even more pointless than comparing CPUs by
hertz or comparing F1 cars by color.


red cars are the fastest. ask any cop.


The reason Lewis hates specification discussions is because he doesn't
understand them and because he bought his phone purely out of the STYLE
cachet that Apple MARKETING advocates.

So, he never bought the phone on Price:Performance in the first place.

In fact, he didn't select the phone on either price nor on performance.

He'd pay *anything* for style, and he'd never even know what is inside.

Like a Gucci bag, he doesn't care if it's plastic fake leather, as long as
it has the Gucci logo, that's all he cares about.

So, no wonder he'd say that comparing specifications is pointless.

He only cares about his pink iPhone having gold-plated side buttons.
  #18  
Old October 7th 16, 11:05 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Algeria Horan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43
Default Compare Google Pixel & Pixel XL to the iPhone 7 by specifications only

Lewis wrote:

Spec comparison of cameras is even more pointless than comparing CPUs by
hertz or comparing F1 cars by color.


Formula 1 cars are compared by specs, and, in fact, Formula 1 cars are
literally *defined* by specs!

The internal combustion engine of a Formula One car must 1.6-litres in
capacity and rev-limited to 15,000rpm.

The engine must also have six cylinders arranged in a 90-degree
formation, with two inlet and two exhaust valves per cylinder and a single
turbocharger.

Engines exhaust systems must have a single tailpipe for the turbine and
either one or two tailpipes for the wastegate.

Fuel flow to the engine is limited to 100 kilograms/hour.

The use of any device, other than the engine and one MGU-K, to propel
the car, is not permitted.

etc.
https://www.formula1.com/en/champion...t_and_ERS.html


The overall weight of the power unit must be a minimum of 145kg. The
Energy Store must be installed wholly within the survival cell and must
weigh between 20kg and 25kg.

"The only means by which the driver may control acceleration torque to
the driven wheels is via a single chassis mounted foot (accelerator)
pedal."
Article 5.5.1 of the 2016 FIA Technical Regulations

The crankcase and cylinder block of the engine must be made of cast or
wrought aluminium alloys
  #19  
Old October 7th 16, 11:05 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Algeria Horan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 43
Default Compare Google Pixel & Pixel XL to the iPhone 7 by specifications only

nospam wrote:

I have never understood NFC, simply because I have it on my S3 and I've
never had a need to even *care* about NFC.


you have never understood a lot of things.


You're so predictable, when I wrote that, I was thinking that this would be
*exactly* what you'd say.

You do realize it adds zero value and everyone else has to wade through
your ****ing on me and me rebutting that ****ing contest, right?

It would be best if you just stick to the facts, e.g., list the LTE bands
that are so important that the Pixel is missing that the iPhone 7 has, for
example.

Then everyone would benefit from the conversation.
  #20  
Old October 7th 16, 11:09 PM posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.cellular,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
nospam[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,163
Default Compare Google Pixel & Pixel XL to the iPhone 7 by specifications only

In article , Algeria Horan
wrote:

You do realize it adds zero value and everyone else has to wade through
your ****ing on me and me rebutting that ****ing contest, right?


more accurately, they **** on you too and you fail to rebut *anything*.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
And now 4 mega pixel photos on your iPhone 3G An Apple A Day Keeps The BlackBerries Away! AT&T Wireless 0 February 6th 09 01:11 AM
6600 Dead Pixel Jaron Nokia 8 August 12th 04 04:12 PM
Pixel question Alistair Nokia 3 July 22nd 04 06:59 PM
6600 dead pixel update - 4 now! eggster2k Nokia 3 July 11th 04 10:27 PM
Nokia 6600 pixel bug Emil Christopher Melar Nokia 7 January 4th 04 06:28 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2017 Mobile-Forum.
The comments are property of their posters.