A mobile phone forum. Mobile-Forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Mobile-Forum forum » Handset manufacturers » Motorola
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Publisher of MPT, Avanquest/BVRP leaves this user hanging



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 23rd 08, 02:02 AM posted to alt.cellular.motorola
Craig[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 93
Default Publisher of MPT, Avanquest/BVRP leaves this user hanging

Long and

I can't believe it.

I've been using Avanquest's MPT forums for a couple of years now. The
support has never been excellent but adequate. Today, their forums and
support just fell off the map.

I read a thread in Ideas & Suggestions where several people had
requested support for Mozilla's Sunbird/Linux and UTF-8 support. I
added to the thread, saying that I agree.

It was flagged as spam, removed and I was sent an auto-generated email,
essentially saying that I'd used a word identified as spam and I should
be more careful in the future. The message didn't indicate /which/ word
had been flagged as spam!

OK, I'll make sure that I just stick to alpha-numerics and no
exclamations, etc. I resubmit my post and voila! Same shenanigans.
So I poke around on the forums to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Sure enough, they have. Other posters had highlighted the ridiculous
policy of warning a user on a certain word... w/o identifying the word.
I post on that thread, essentially saying "me too" and, sure enough,
the post is flagged and the forum s/w dumps me to a page that says:

You have been banned from this forum. Please contact the webmaster
or board administrator for more information.


Of course, there is no way to contact the webmaster/admin via the board.
I go to Avanquest's website, submit a support ticket and receive a
notice that "this address is no longer monitored..."

I've now been on hold with their "tech support" for 15 minutes.

I'd recommend against buying anything developed or supported by
Avanquest/BVRP. I'll certainly be staying away.

fwiw,
-Craig
  #2  
Old May 23rd 08, 02:15 AM posted to alt.cellular.motorola
XS11E[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 647
Default Publisher of MPT, Avanquest/BVRP leaves this user hanging

Craig wrote:

I'd recommend against buying anything developed or supported by
Avanquest/BVRP. I'll certainly be staying away.


Not me, I like their MPT and use it all the time. I have to agree
you've been treated very shabbily but I can't relate since I've never
registered my software nor ever used the forums.

I hope this works out for you but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were
you...... ;-)




--
XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
  #3  
Old May 23rd 08, 02:27 AM posted to alt.cellular.motorola
Craig[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 93
Default Publisher of MPT, Avanquest/BVRP leaves this user hanging

XS11E wrote:
Craig wrote:

I'd recommend against buying anything developed or supported by
Avanquest/BVRP. I'll certainly be staying away.


Not me, I like their MPT and use it all the time. I have to agree
you've been treated very shabbily but I can't relate since I've never
registered my software nor ever used the forums.


Yea, MPT's great as long as it ain't broke.


I hope this works out for you but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were
you...... ;-)


At 40 minutes & counting, I appreciate the timely advice! grin Just
another reason to turn my back on closed-source, proprietary s/w.

-Craig
  #4  
Old May 23rd 08, 03:23 AM posted to alt.cellular.motorola
XS11E[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 647
Default Publisher of MPT, Avanquest/BVRP leaves this user hanging

Craig wrote:

XS11E wrote:
Craig wrote:

I'd recommend against buying anything developed or supported by
Avanquest/BVRP. I'll certainly be staying away.


Not me, I like their MPT and use it all the time. I have to
agree you've been treated very shabbily but I can't relate since
I've never registered my software nor ever used the forums.


Yea, MPT's great as long as it ain't broke.


It's never been broke for me, it's worked to perfection ever since I
started using it with version 3.?.

Just another reason to turn my back on closed-source, proprietary
s/w.


I like and need software that works, that pretty much eliminates open
source.

I wasted years trying to make Linux work before decided it was exactly
that, a waste of time. It won't do what I need and apparently never
will.

I run Thunderbird and Firefox as my only open source, FF just isn't as
good as MSIE and, despite whatever you may have heard, it's less
secure. I use it ONLY when I need a Greasemonkey script. Thunderbird
works perfectly for me for email, I don't ask much of an email client.
It does not even begin to function as a newsreader. Like Linux, I
spent years trying to get OO to work, gave that up as well.

Open source is great in my experience if you're about two years behind
current hardware and software, two years behind won't allow me to do
what I need to do.



--
XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
  #5  
Old May 23rd 08, 02:10 PM posted to alt.cellular.motorola
Richard B. Gilbert
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,027
Default Publisher of MPT, Avanquest/BVRP leaves this user hanging

Craig wrote:
Long and

I can't believe it.

I've been using Avanquest's MPT forums for a couple of years now. The
support has never been excellent but adequate. Today, their forums and
support just fell off the map.

I read a thread in Ideas & Suggestions where several people had
requested support for Mozilla's Sunbird/Linux and UTF-8 support. I
added to the thread, saying that I agree.

It was flagged as spam, removed and I was sent an auto-generated email,
essentially saying that I'd used a word identified as spam and I should
be more careful in the future. The message didn't indicate /which/ word
had been flagged as spam!

OK, I'll make sure that I just stick to alpha-numerics and no
exclamations, etc. I resubmit my post and voila! Same shenanigans.
So I poke around on the forums to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Sure enough, they have. Other posters had highlighted the ridiculous
policy of warning a user on a certain word... w/o identifying the word.
I post on that thread, essentially saying "me too" and, sure enough,
the post is flagged and the forum s/w dumps me to a page that says:

You have been banned from this forum. Please contact the webmaster
or board administrator for more information.


Of course, there is no way to contact the webmaster/admin via the board.
I go to Avanquest's website, submit a support ticket and receive a
notice that "this address is no longer monitored..."

I've now been on hold with their "tech support" for 15 minutes.

I'd recommend against buying anything developed or supported by
Avanquest/BVRP. I'll certainly be staying away.

fwiw,
-Craig


If and when you finally get through to "tech support" the person you
speak with will speak English with a marked accent!

That's the way things are done these days.
  #6  
Old May 24th 08, 09:47 PM posted to alt.cellular.motorola
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Publisher of MPT, Avanquest/BVRP leaves this user hanging

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

If and when you finally get through to "tech support" the person you
speak with will speak English with a marked accent!


With the home office in Paris, France, a support person might be expected
to have an accent while speaking English.

--
Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley Lake, CA, USA GPS: 38.8,-122.5
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Avanquest Media Studio Software?? [email protected] Verizon 0 October 28th 05 01:29 AM
Audiovox CDM-9500 keeps hanging up Bob D. Verizon 2 December 31st 04 09:46 AM
Mobile phone tools and BVRP Geoff Jackson Motorola 2 December 20th 04 04:15 PM
6230 Bluetooth hanging ChrisM Nokia 5 November 15th 04 06:00 PM
Hanging up VX4500 in Driving Mode C C Verizon 11 July 6th 04 03:13 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 Mobile-Forum.
The comments are property of their posters.