A mobile phone forum. Mobile-Forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Mobile-Forum forum » Airtime providers » ALLTEL
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

OT but very useful...



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 14th 09, 06:09 PM posted to alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.alltel,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws
Larry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,696
Default OT but very useful...

http://www.thetornado.com/backup_files.asp

I was rummaging through Staples store last night looking for a cable when I
stumbled upon this gadget they are dumping for $20, so I bought one.

This is a really neat device that VERY rapidly will copy files between two
Windows PCs by simply plugging the self-retracting cords between their USB
ports. Inside the device, a little computer tells the PCs to run a file
manager program built right into the device. Once it boots, all you do is
drag and drop files or whole directories of files or groups of files from
one computer's file list to the other on the Tornado file manager....it's
that easy!

A 700MB DivX movie takes about half a minute to copy if you have USB 2.0
ports on both machine. That's REALLY quite fast.

The other nice thing is you don't have to set the PCs for file sharing
exposing the files to any other machines. This is local-only control
separate from any network. It's the perfect way to load up your laptop
with music/movies/stuff from your home computer to carry to the boat.

Because the software doesn't install into Windows, it leaves no residue
files on any PC it's used on. The software only runs when the device is
plugged in. So, you can take your laptop and the Tornado to someone else's
computer and swap files with them without trashing their system in the
least bit. Need to swap files with the computer at the office...just plug
it in to your laptop and the office computer. Because the computers are
separated by the Tornado's computer in the device, there's no automatic
movement of virus/trojan bad guys between them. Only files YOU choose in
either computer's Tornado file manager are copied. Windows has no
automatic control of moving files through the Tornado...no funny business.

Check your Staples store to see if they're dumping it....$20 is cheap!

  #2  
Old March 14th 09, 06:39 PM posted to alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.alltel,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 81
Default OT but very useful...

In alt.cellular.verizon Larry wrote:

Check your Staples store to see if they're dumping it....$20 is cheap!


The reason they are dumping it is because ethernet works much better and
much faster. It is a nearly-useless item in the era of home netorks.

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
-- Bertrand Russell

  #4  
Old March 16th 09, 11:57 PM posted to alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.alltel,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws
Larc[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default OT but very useful...

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:41:31 +0000, Larry wrote:

| wrote in :
|
| In alt.cellular.verizon Larry wrote:
|
| Check your Staples store to see if they're dumping it....$20 is cheap!
|
| The reason they are dumping it is because ethernet works much better and
| much faster. It is a nearly-useless item in the era of home netorks.
|
|
| I'd bet 99% of the people who own a router do NOT, repeat NOT, have or know
| anything about networking, how to set it up and make it work and file
| sharing and how to set it up and make it work. 99% may be too
| conservative. They have two computers plugged INDEPENDENTLY into one
| modem....all the network they ever knew about. If it didn't do DHCP and
| automate the connections, it wouldn't be in their den.
|
| Well, it matters not. From my emails to my friends, Staples in Charleston
| and Columbia, SC, is now sold out of this “nearly-useless item” and a bunch
| of people are thrilled at how easy they can now put files on their
| notebooks....which was all that mattered...

Why else would anybody with multiple computers want a router? There are
certainly cheaper firewalls.

Besides, networks — especially with wired routers — aren't that much trouble to
set up.

Larc
  #5  
Old March 17th 09, 12:08 AM posted to alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.alltel,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws
The Ghost of General Lee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 931
Default OT but very useful...

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 19:57:20 -0400, Larc
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:41:31 +0000, Larry wrote:

| wrote in :
|
| In alt.cellular.verizon Larry wrote:
|
| Check your Staples store to see if they're dumping it....$20 is cheap!
|
| The reason they are dumping it is because ethernet works much better and
| much faster. It is a nearly-useless item in the era of home netorks.
|
|
| I'd bet 99% of the people who own a router do NOT, repeat NOT, have or know
| anything about networking, how to set it up and make it work and file
| sharing and how to set it up and make it work. 99% may be too
| conservative. They have two computers plugged INDEPENDENTLY into one
| modem....all the network they ever knew about. If it didn't do DHCP and
| automate the connections, it wouldn't be in their den.
|
| Well, it matters not. From my emails to my friends, Staples in Charleston
| and Columbia, SC, is now sold out of this “nearly-useless item” and a bunch
| of people are thrilled at how easy they can now put files on their
| notebooks....which was all that mattered...

Why else would anybody with multiple computers want a router? There are
certainly cheaper firewalls.

Besides, networks — especially with wired routers — aren't that much trouble to
set up.


Because it's just Larry's convenient excuse to spam the cellular
newsgroups with his off-topic rubbish. He's no better than Vic.
  #6  
Old March 17th 09, 04:15 AM posted to alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.alltel,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws
Todd Allcock
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,472
Default OT but very useful...

At 16 Mar 2009 22:41:31 +0000 Larry wrote:

Check your Staples store to see if they're dumping it....$20 is

cheap!

The reason they are dumping it is because ethernet works much better

and
much faster. It is a nearly-useless item in the era of home netorks.


I'd bet 99% of the people who own a router do NOT, repeat NOT, have or

know
anything about networking, how to set it up and make it work and file
sharing and how to set it up and make it work. 99% may be too
conservative. They have two computers plugged INDEPENDENTLY into one
modem....all the network they ever knew about. If it didn't do DHCP

and
automate the connections, it wouldn't be in their den.

Well, it matters not. From my emails to my friends, Staples in

Charleston
and Columbia, SC, is now sold out of this “nearly-useless item” and a

bunch
of people are thrilled at how easy they can now put files on their
notebooks....which was all that mattered...



Ah, the irony...

When someone else pays money for something (like buying media on iTunes)
that they could've gotten cheaper or for free elsewhere you call them an
idiot, but if you or your buddies do it, it's a small price to pay for
convenience...



  #7  
Old March 17th 09, 11:01 PM posted to alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.alltel,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws
Larry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,696
Default OT but very useful...

Todd Allcock wrote in news:uIFvl.95837
:

At 16 Mar 2009 22:41:31 +0000 Larry wrote:

Check your Staples store to see if they're dumping it....$20 is

cheap!

The reason they are dumping it is because ethernet works much bett

er
and
much faster. It is a nearly-useless item in the era of home netor

ks.


I'd bet 99% of the people who own a router do NOT, repeat NOT, have

or
know
anything about networking, how to set it up and make it work and fil

e
sharing and how to set it up and make it work. 99% may be too
conservative. They have two computers plugged INDEPENDENTLY into on

e
modem....all the network they ever knew about. If it didn't do DHCP


and
automate the connections, it wouldn't be in their den.

Well, it matters not. From my emails to my friends, Staples in

Charleston
and Columbia, SC, is now sold out of this “nearly-useless item”

and a
bunch
of people are thrilled at how easy they can now put files on their
notebooks....which was all that mattered...



Ah, the irony...

When someone else pays money for something (like buying media on

iTunes)
that they could've gotten cheaper or for free elsewhere you call them

an
idiot, but if you or your buddies do it, it's a small price to pay for
convenience...





What is convenient about iTunes??!! It's a pain in the ass!

  #8  
Old March 17th 09, 11:21 PM posted to alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.alltel,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws
Larry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,696
Default OT but very useful...

Larc wrote in
:

Why else would anybody with multiple computers want a router? There
are certainly cheaper firewalls.

Besides, networks - especially with wired routers - aren't that much
trouble to set up.



Huh?? You have 3 computers, one for you, one for "her" and one for the
teenage animal to trash.....

All 3 access ONE cable modem through a router....duhhh....

They never share files. They have no interest in it.

That's 99% of the routers plugged into a modem, I'd guess.

What planet are you on??

  #9  
Old March 17th 09, 11:26 PM posted to alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.alltel,alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws
The Ghost of General Lee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 931
Default OT but very useful...

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 23:01:31 +0000, Larry wrote:


What is convenient about iTunes??!! It's a pain in the ass!


So are you. What's your point?
  #10  
Old March 18th 09, 12:34 AM posted to alt.cellular.alltel
Larc[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11
Default OT but very useful...

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 23:21:12 +0000, Larry wrote:

| Larc wrote in
| :
|
| Why else would anybody with multiple computers want a router? There
| are certainly cheaper firewalls.
|
| Besides, networks - especially with wired routers - aren't that much
| trouble to set up.
|
|
|
| Huh?? You have 3 computers, one for you, one for "her" and one for the
| teenage animal to trash.....
|
| All 3 access ONE cable modem through a router....duhhh....
|
| They never share files. They have no interest in it.
|
| That's 99% of the routers plugged into a modem, I'd guess.
|
| What planet are you on??

I'm on a planet where some people are completely comfortable with computers and
networks and know what the hell they are talking about when the subject comes
up.

What about you?

Larc
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2017 Mobile-Forum.
The comments are property of their posters.