A mobile phone forum. Mobile-Forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Mobile-Forum forum » Airtime providers » AT&T Wireless
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

What is the benefit of adding a memory card to a cell phone?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 9th 13, 04:10 AM posted to alt.cellular.attws
micky
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 51
Default What is the benefit of adding a memory card to a cell phone?

What is the benefit of adding a memory card to a cell phone?

My Huawei Android phone (model number available if necessary, but I
think this is a general quesiton) won't run most of the apps that are
available, that I was interested in. I was told the phone either
didn't have enough memory to run the apps (500 megs sounds familiar,
iirc half of what most new phones have) or that its screen had too low
density.

If memory is the issue does adding a memory card do anything for that?
Does Android have the ability to use it as a swap file or something
similar. Or does all the memory just go for storing songs and photos
and videos, etc.?

Thanks
  #2  
Old June 9th 13, 04:29 PM posted to alt.cellular.attws
Todd Allcock[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,159
Default What is the benefit of adding a memory card to a cell phone?

micky Wrote in message:
What is the benefit of adding a memory card to a cell phone?

My Huawei Android phone (model number available if necessary, but I
think this is a general quesiton) won't run most of the apps that are
available, that I was interested in. I was told the phone either
didn't have enough memory to run the apps (500 megs sounds familiar,
iirc half of what most new phones have) or that its screen had too low
density.

If memory is the issue does adding a memory card do anything for that?
Does Android have the ability to use it as a swap file or something
similar. Or does all the memory just go for storing songs and photos
and videos, etc.?

Thanks


Adding a memory card increases your storage only, not the device's
RAM memory.

Half a gig of memory is more than enough to run most programs- it
limits how many can run simultaneously. The screen resolution
and processor speed are probably bigger factors in what apps will
or won't run.







--




----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://www.piaohong.tk/newsgroup
  #3  
Old June 9th 13, 08:08 PM posted to alt.cellular.attws
micky
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 51
Default What is the benefit of adding a memory card to a cell phone?

On Sun, 9 Jun 2013 09:29:15 -0600 (MDT), Todd Allcock
wrote:

micky Wrote in message:
What is the benefit of adding a memory card to a cell phone?

My Huawei Android phone (model number available if necessary, but I
think this is a general quesiton) won't run most of the apps that are
available, that I was interested in. I was told the phone either
didn't have enough memory to run the apps (500 megs sounds familiar,
iirc half of what most new phones have) or that its screen had too low
density.

If memory is the issue does adding a memory card do anything for that?
Does Android have the ability to use it as a swap file or something
similar. Or does all the memory just go for storing songs and photos
and videos, etc.?

Thanks


Adding a memory card increases your storage only, not the device's
RAM memory.

Half a gig of memory is more than enough to run most programs- it
limits how many can run simultaneously. The screen resolution
and processor speed are probably bigger factors in what apps will
or won't run.


I can see that. Thanks.

The phone I bought on Ebay had very high Amazon customer ratings, but
maybe most of the ratings were within a couple days of getting the
phone. I could tell from leftover tidbits in the phone that the
previous owner only had it for about 3 months. I think I now know
why he sold it.

Someone gave me a broken Epson nnnnn 545 all-in-one printer, that was
compact and did everything (when it worked --- I couldn't fix it.) but
had very low ratings. Their next model 645 had very high readings,
and after I bought it, it seemed to be 90% the same as the other one.
But so far I love it. We'll see how long it lasts and if the Amazon
ratings for it stay strong or not.

  #4  
Old June 9th 13, 08:15 PM posted to alt.cellular.attws
micky
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 51
Default What is the benefit of adding a memory card to a cell phone?

On Sun, 09 Jun 2013 15:08:13 -0400, micky
wrote:


Someone gave me a broken Epson nnnnn 545 all-in-one printer, that was
compact and did everything (when it worked --- I couldn't fix it.) but
had very low ratings. Their next model


Workforce 645

had very high readings,
and after I bought it, it seemed to be 90% the same as the other one.
But so far I love it. We'll see how long it lasts and if the Amazon
ratings for it stay strong or not.


  #5  
Old June 9th 13, 08:26 PM posted to alt.cellular.attws
nospam[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,163
Default What is the benefit of adding a memory card to a cell phone?

In article , micky
wrote:

Someone gave me a broken Epson nnnnn 545 all-in-one printer, that was
compact and did everything (when it worked --- I couldn't fix it.) but
had very low ratings. Their next model


Workforce 645


i have a workforce 635 (there was no 645 at the time). it's a fantastic
printer. double-sided printing and scanning is *very* useful.
  #6  
Old June 9th 13, 09:07 PM posted to alt.cellular.attws
micky
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 51
Default What is the benefit of adding a memory card to a cell phone?

On Sun, 09 Jun 2013 15:26:17 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , micky
wrote:

Someone gave me a broken Epson nnnnn 545 all-in-one printer, that was
compact and did everything (when it worked --- I couldn't fix it.) but
had very low ratings. Their next model


Workforce 645


i have a workforce 635 (there was no 645 at the time). it's a fantastic
printer. double-sided printing and scanning is *very* useful.


Plus I love the wi-fi. I've run out of space anywhere near either of
my computers, but I can just put this anywhere in the house. (For some
functions this is not so good, but for most it's fine.)

I don't print much. I used double sided printing once, partly just to
see if it would work. It happened in another room, so I couldn't
appreciate it. OTOH, I guess even if I had been there, I wouldn't
have seen anything.

But it worked.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iTunes directly on phone, not memory card - SLVR sbachm01 Motorola 1 February 21st 06 03:42 PM
mmc card sms msg to phone memory [email protected] Nokia 0 December 11th 05 12:10 PM
GSM SIM card memory locations using a NOKIA 5100 phone Pelle Peloton Nokia 2 November 16th 04 09:02 PM
Adding a PTT mic to a cell phone The Ghost of General Lee Verizon 0 September 22nd 04 09:20 PM
How can I copy all contacts from SIM card to 3650 phone memory? Jules Nokia 3 September 22nd 03 08:06 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 Mobile-Forum.
The comments are property of their posters.