A mobile phone forum. Mobile-Forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Mobile-Forum forum » Airtime providers » Sprint
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

How can I debug why my Sprint Note 2 won't tether to Windows?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 3rd 13, 06:35 AM posted to alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular-phone-tech,alt.cellular.gsm
Alfred Fox
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default How can I debug why my Sprint Note 2 won't tether to Windows?

I've tried to tether my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 2 smartphone
to my Windows 7 laptop using a USB cable - but it never works.

When I plug the smart phone in to the laptop, the phone says
it's plugged in as a USB device, but the PC doesn't recognize
it as a wireless data tethering.

What debugging can I do to figure out WHY it's not tethering?

  #2  
Old May 3rd 13, 07:52 AM posted to alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular-phone-tech
Paul Miner
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 837
Default How can I debug why my Sprint Note 2 won't tether to Windows?

On Fri, 3 May 2013 04:35:17 +0000 (UTC), Alfred Fox
wrote:

I've tried to tether my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 2 smartphone
to my Windows 7 laptop using a USB cable - but it never works.

When I plug the smart phone in to the laptop, the phone says
it's plugged in as a USB device, but the PC doesn't recognize
it as a wireless data tethering.

What debugging can I do to figure out WHY it's not tethering?


What app are you using to tether? Simply connecting the phone to the laptop
isn't enough to make it happen. You need something else, such as PDAnet or
similar.

--
Paul Miner
  #3  
Old May 4th 13, 04:25 AM posted to alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular-phone-tech
Alfred Fox
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default How can I debug why my Sprint Note 2 won't tether to Windows?

On Fri, 03 May 2013 00:52:31 -0500, Paul Miner wrote:

What app are you using to tether? Simply connecting the phone to
the laptop isn't enough to make it happen. You need something
else, such as PDAnet or similar.


I simply connect the phone by USB to the laptop and I go to
"settings" on the phone, and I select "more settings" which
then comes up with "tethering", which I hit the checkbox.

It says you're now tethered. But it doesn't actually tether.

It's a native application that came with the phone.

  #4  
Old May 4th 13, 11:41 PM posted to alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular-phone-tech
Paul Miner
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 837
Default How can I debug why my Sprint Note 2 won't tether to Windows?

On Sat, 4 May 2013 02:25:44 +0000 (UTC), Alfred Fox
wrote:

On Fri, 03 May 2013 00:52:31 -0500, Paul Miner wrote:

What app are you using to tether? Simply connecting the phone to
the laptop isn't enough to make it happen. You need something
else, such as PDAnet or similar.


I simply connect the phone by USB to the laptop and I go to
"settings" on the phone, and I select "more settings" which
then comes up with "tethering", which I hit the checkbox.

It says you're now tethered. But it doesn't actually tether.

It's a native application that came with the phone.


Yeah, that doesn't work with my S3, either. I assume Sprint has disabled
that bit of functionality. I installed PDAnet+, which seems to work ok.

--
Paul Miner
  #5  
Old May 6th 13, 01:49 AM posted to alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular-phone-tech
Alfred Fox
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default How can I debug why my Sprint Note 2 won't tether to Windows?

On Sat, 04 May 2013 16:41:43 -0500, Paul Miner wrote:

Yeah, that doesn't work with my S3, either. I assume Sprint has disabled
that bit of functionality. I installed PDAnet+, which seems to work ok.


Oh. Then why do they leave it on there?

Oh, anyway, I'll see if I can download PDAnet+ from Google Play.

Is that the recommended tethering program on Sprint?

  #6  
Old May 6th 13, 04:41 PM posted to alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular-phone-tech
Paul Miner
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 837
Default How can I debug why my Sprint Note 2 won't tether to Windows?

On Sun, 5 May 2013 23:49:10 +0000 (UTC), Alfred Fox
wrote:

On Sat, 04 May 2013 16:41:43 -0500, Paul Miner wrote:

Yeah, that doesn't work with my S3, either. I assume Sprint has disabled
that bit of functionality. I installed PDAnet+, which seems to work ok.


Oh. Then why do they leave it on there?

Oh, anyway, I'll see if I can download PDAnet+ from Google Play.

Is that the recommended tethering program on Sprint?


No idea, it's just one that I tried and it seemed to work. I'm sure Sprint
would prefer you pay $20 a month or more to enable the hotspot feature.

--
Paul Miner
  #7  
Old May 16th 13, 09:45 AM posted to alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular-phone-tech
Alfred Fox
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default How can I debug why my Sprint Note 2 won't tether to Windows?

On Mon, 06 May 2013 09:41:54 -0500, Paul Miner wrote:

Oh, anyway, I'll see if I can download PDAnet+ from Google Play.

Is that the recommended tethering program on Sprint?


No idea, it's just one that I tried and it seemed to work. I'm sure
Sprint would prefer you pay $20 a month or more to enable the hotspot
feature.


PDAnet+ seems to be a subscription.

Is there a free tethering tool?

  #8  
Old May 17th 13, 02:26 AM posted to alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular-phone-tech
Paul Miner
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 837
Default How can I debug why my Sprint Note 2 won't tether to Windows?

On Thu, 16 May 2013 07:45:49 +0000 (UTC), Alfred Fox
wrote:

On Mon, 06 May 2013 09:41:54 -0500, Paul Miner wrote:

Oh, anyway, I'll see if I can download PDAnet+ from Google Play.

Is that the recommended tethering program on Sprint?


No idea, it's just one that I tried and it seemed to work. I'm sure
Sprint would prefer you pay $20 a month or more to enable the hotspot
feature.


PDAnet+ seems to be a subscription.

Is there a free tethering tool?


Not that I know of.

--
Paul Miner
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Router debug Konsta Lehtinen Motorola 0 June 25th 08 10:53 PM
Motorola Software Update for Sprint Q9c including Windows Mobile 6.1 marmar5 Sprint 0 June 5th 08 02:35 AM
Sprint's Palm Treo 700wx to use Windows OS [email protected] General 0 September 5th 06 08:00 PM
Voice Command 1.5 and Windows mobile 5 (sprint 6700) Gostal Arcelin Sprint 4 November 17th 05 03:50 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2017 Mobile-Forum.
The comments are property of their posters.